Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Working Woman Housewife Part 2: Do You Have A Clean House?

Since I am snowed in over my lunch hour I am back again with another Working Woman Housewife post and it is time to tackle another topic all working housewives dread...cleaning.  I wouldn't say I have a clean house, it usually teeters between acceptable and kind of a mess.  I also don't like clutter so maybe I am being picky.  When we have a really off week I would call our house an all out disaster.   'Clean' is such a relative term.  Others who have seen my house may say, oh its not that bad and yet others may think it is the most disgusting thing they have ever seen.

One thing that is important to me is having it in the acceptable to nice range when we have company.  I hate people seeing my house in its 'natural state'.  A clean house to me is a representation that I've got my shit together (or maybe just too much time on my hands).

We have devised a loose set of chores for my husband and I.  I do most of the cooking, he always does the garbage, we share the dishes (loading and unloading the dishwasher) about 25/75 with me carrying the majority of it.  The same goes for vacuuming and dusting.  We split laundry about 50/50 and fold our own clothes and put them away.  For the most part I am happy with this.  We have gone to both extremes.  At one point I had made up a chore chart and we had assigned duties each week.  I loved how clean it was most of the time, but it was too structured and I found myself dreading doing my chores, so we backed off of that.  We have also let it get too far that things get out of hand and nobody is doing cleaning.  Yuck.

One thing that I read and tried out for awhile was taking 10 minutes at the end of each night to tidy up.  Put away any last dishes, wipe down the counters, put away and left out shoes and it really made a difference in my mood in the morning.  I need to start doing that again.

How do you handle cleaning?  Do you and your significant other share the responsibilities or is it all on you?  What works for you and what doesn't?

Julie

Stay tuned for Part 3: What Happened To Date Night?

No comments:

The Chickee La La's

It took us years of discussion to finally pull the trigger on being "Chicken People".  Let me tell you why, our dog Lady has Cock...