Friday, March 25, 2011

Discipline

Ahhh...another cute Bosko picture to draw you into today blog.  Today's post is about a topic I am working on improving not only my dog Bosko, but my own dog training skills which also takes discipline.  Anyone who knows us and knows our dog Bosko knows  all to well that he is not the best behaved dog in the world.  As a family with no children (not yet anways) we tend to treat our dog like a small child.   This becomes a problem when your dog begins to rule the house.  Anyone who is a pet owner knows how difficult it is to scold your pet when they look up at you with those sad eyes as if to say, "Sorry I didn't do that on purpose!"

 The more I read about dog training and discipline, the more it seems like I am doing it all wrong.  It can be frustrating because you can't actually communicate with your dog so when they are upset or distressed they can only give you signs.  We have really begun to focus on this with our dog because we are planning on bringing in a new puppy into our little family.  We don't want the bad habits our dog has to rub off on the new puppy.  However, what I have read is that a lot of the destructive behavior comes from loneliness and lack of exercise and we are working on correcting those problems as well.

I find dogs very interesting.  Understanding the different breeds, adopting vs going through a breeder, and the various training methods.  Stay tuned as we go through the adoption process with our second dog and of course to see pictures of the new puppy!

To all my "DOG" people, you know who you are, feel free to leave any funny stories about your pup.

Julie

A great place to find pets who need a home in your area visit: http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

No comments:

The Chickee La La's

It took us years of discussion to finally pull the trigger on being "Chicken People".  Let me tell you why, our dog Lady has Cock...