Monday, March 21, 2011

Runner's Block

Running shoes - Check

Heart Rate Monitor/GPS - Check

iPod Fully Loaded with new songs and play list - Check

Dri-fit from head to toe - Check

I wanted to write about this topic because I am getting very close to my first 1/2 marathon!  So what is runner's block?  I'm not sure if this is a real term, but runner's block is like writer's block.  You get to a certain point and you are stuck.  When I first began running this happened to me after I hit the 3 mile mark.  I know this happens to a lot of people, you get to a certain mile or time and you feel happy that you have been able to go that far and don't even try to go farther.  I ran almost 2-3 times a week for well over a year without going any farther than that 3 mile mark.  After completing a few 5K runs and a sprint triathlon I needed a challenge and that is why I signed up for the 1/2.

It took a lot of psyching myself up, but the first time I ran 4 miles it felt amazing.  It was not that I couldn't physically do it, because it really wasn't much more difficult than running 3 miles but it was a mental road block.  I have now been able to get up to 6 miles I just have a few more in my training to be prepared for my race on April 30th. 

I really love my new training tool which is a GPS heart rate monitor (Forerunner 305 by Garmin) and I would recommend it if you are serious about training outdoors.  This tracks all your workouts, gives you your distance and when you hook it up to your computer you can see a full map of where you just ran and much more: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/73714620 .  This is a great training tool and an amazing early birthday gift (Thanks Honey)!!

Have you ever had "Runner's Block"?

Julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, that first step!

The Chickee La La's

It took us years of discussion to finally pull the trigger on being "Chicken People".  Let me tell you why, our dog Lady has Cock...