Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goals 2012

In the spirit of the New Year I wanted to write a little bit about goals. 

Ever since I was young I have been taught to set goals.  Every sport season we were taught to set team goals and personal goals.  Some of them worked and some of them didn't.  As I got older I continued to set goals and many of them have come true and they continue to ... I almost always have written them down at some point in a list or journal and then I try to think about and look back at them often.  Here are some examples I wrote early in my college years:
  • I want to study abroad...studied in Australia in the second semester of my junior year (2005)
  • I want to fall in love by the time I am 23 and get married at 25 ... fell in love at age 21 and married at age 25 (still cracks me up that this was a goal of mine)
  • I want to have my first "real" job offer before I graduate... had job offer accepted before I graduated in May 2006
  • I want to go skydiving ... went skydiving in October 2006
  • I want to travel to Italy...traveled to Italy in the spring of 2008
  • I want to go deep sea fishing in Alaska ... went on a deep sea fishing on our honeymoon 2009
  • I want to run a 1/2 marathon... completed a 1/2 marathon in the spring of 2011
There are probably many more, but I think as we get older we forget to keep setting NEW goals for ourselves.  I have reached many of the life goals I had set for myself, but forgot that once I complete them I need to keep setting new goals.  I'm not saying I don't have goals for my life, but I don't always remember to write them down.  Things haven't changed much because I still need to keep personal goals and "team" goals with me and the hubby. 

That being said my New Year's (Resolution) Goal is to start setting goals for myself and with hubby on a regular basis.  Not just thinking: I want... but actually writing them down and then actually doing them.  I understand things like this often take time, but the mind is a powerful thing and I am pretty sure I have proved to myself in the past that I can do ANYTHING I put my mind to!

Thanks CherJoy for the inspiration for this post!

Julie

PS. Stay tuned as I come up with my list and review past goals that are waiting to be completed!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Awww you're welcome!! Excited to see your list :)

The Chickee La La's

It took us years of discussion to finally pull the trigger on being "Chicken People".  Let me tell you why, our dog Lady has Cock...