Saturday, December 7, 2013

He's Here!!!

What a crazy week it has been!  Richard Roger arrived 12/1/13 weighing 9 pounds, 21-1/2 inches at 7:14 PM after 20 hours of labor and a natural vaginal birth.  I started feeling contractions on Thanksgiving but they were irregular and spaced far apart.  Friday they became a little more regular, but almost an hour apart but slowly getting closer together.  We were out at my Mom's all day and decided it would be best to go back home for the night.  I was in pain most of the night from the contractions that were now about every 15-30 minutes.  Saturday around 12:00 PM we decided to go to the hospital and check how far things had come along.  Still only 1cm so they sent us back home saying it could be that could be in a week.  UGH!  I felt okay still though and we got back home and took it easy.  Finally around 8PM I decided to try and sleep for a bit and little did I know it was the last sleep I would get for a very long time.  Things started heating up and by 9PM I was having some pretty serious contractions growing up to 11:00 PM when I was feeling terrible.

I would switch between laying and standing and Dick would stand behind me and push on my back to help relieve the pain.  By 3:00 AM contractions were consistently 5 minutes apart and I couldn't stand it and we packed up and went to the hospital.  We got settled in by 3:30 AM and seriously it was a blur.  They checked me and hooked me up to monitors.  Contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and it was on!!!  It stayed this way until I could get to 3-4 cm which happened around 9:30 AM the next morning.  Then it was time for the epidural.  Ahhhhh relief!!!  I finally was able to get comfortable enough to sleep a little more.  As the day progressed I dilated very slowly, and I thought I wouldn't ever get there.  The afternoon rolled around and I was still only around 5-6 cm.  I remember getting to 7cm and the pressure was getting intense.  The epidural was still working, but they told me it wouldn't help for the pressure of the baby and how low he was.  At that point I feel like it was a blink of an eye and I was fully dilated!  They asked me how the pain was and if I was somehow able to wait, the baby would naturally be pushed down and would save me some pushing time.  I was able to wait another hour.  Finally I decided I couldn't stand it anymore and needed to push.  The nurses got me started and I pushed and pushed and they called the doctor to come in.  My regular OB wasn't in so I had the OB on call Dr. Moktar.  She was WONDERFUL!  I pushed for an hour and with some screaming like I was being murdered HE arrived!  I was crying my eyes out, he was finally here!  It was so surreal that everything we waited for the past 4 years had finally arrived and the wait was over.  I'm crying again as I'm writing this.  Anyways, we stayed until Tuesday mid-day and they sent us home.  I'm sure there are details I am missing, but it has been hectic around here figured out balancing feeding (exclusively breast feeding for now) and changing poopy diapers and staying sane. 

Thursday night I spoke with our church and we arranged a private baptism after the PM church service.  So 12/5 Richard was baptized with just the Pastor and Dick and I present (and God :) ).  We will do public affirmation after the craziness of the holidays.  I've always wanted my baby baptized as soon as possible since I never understood the reasons for waiting to be convenient.  We have plenty of time now to plan the public affirmation and our baby is baptized in the Lord.  Anyways, quick before I need to feed the little man again here are some photos:


1 comment:

Janet Sainsbury said...

Congratulations and welcome Richard! I am so happy for you!